Tuesday, March 10, 2009

It's My Dad's Birthday!


Today my Dad is officially 80 years old! He was born in 1929. That's getting up there!
Here's a few of the fun things my Dad says and has always said while I was growing up. I will call them Dadisms.
"Check your tires"
"Dumber than a doornail",
"I don't smoke and I don't chew, and I don't go with girls who do"
"Drive it or Milk it" (He'd say that if someone in front of him wasn't going fast enough--that's my all time favorite)
"Little things bother Little People"
"Great things come in small packages"
"Be a leader not a follower"
“I read it on the plane back from Toronto.” (he seemed to get all his information that way)
“Never mess with mother nature” (He'd say that as a weatherman in Canada)
"Be careful!"
"...(singing) Put your shoulder to the wheel move along...we all have work, don't be a jerk..."
(At Taco Bell) "Can I have a large malt, heavy on the malt?" (Uh, sir this is TACO bell)
"There is a front coming in from the west" (whenever the weatherman came out of him)
“Slicker than snot on a doorknob”
“Go blow your nose”
“He wouldn’t recognize a ____if it came over and sat on his face!”
"But.....what do 'I' know?"
"Howdy partner" (John Wayne style)
The phone rings and Dad ALWAYS says, "Who could that be?"
"That's the American way"

So Happy Birthday Dad! In your honor I'll try to say a few of these today to my own kids. I will also try to whistle all day like you. You can whistle like nobody's business, but I'll do my best. I will also rub some VIX on my throat as to keep away all sickness like you do nightly.
I love you!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Your dad is definitely a character--I had to laugh at the "put the shoulder to the wheel...etc, don't be a jerk" song---I've never heard that rendition, but I burst out laughing when I read the final line.

About the whistling...you're a great whistler yourself! I will always remember visiting you and Dave in Provo when Austin was just a baby and we cleaned your house and listened to Abba--you were whistling the whole time to it...it was great! I can't whistle at all. Oh well.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

I MUST start saying "Who could that be?" when the phone rings.... I don't know why that one makes me laugh so much. I guess the trick is to say it EVERY TIME.

Is "I read it on the plane back from Toronto" kinda like "I gotta go see a man about a horse?" Just something you say cuz you don't really wanna have to explain stuff? So funny.

Happy birthday Grandpa Ashtonion!